Recently, Desktop-as-a-Service has become extremely popular in the tech world.
Virtual Private Networks (VPNs) are being used since decades ago and they are still pretty much same that we used to have in Windows XP.
In future thereâ€™s a possibility that VPNs will finally go the way of other 1990s-era technology and retrocede into history. Why is thatâ€™s so? Well, the reason is that Desktop-as-a-Service (DaaS) is growing popular, which is in turn allowing businesses to shift their dependence on VPNs.
What is a VPN?
A VPN is a software-defined networking layer that separates the resources running on a private network, for instance as a companyâ€™s internal corporate network, from the public internet.
Virtual Private Networks offers many benefits;
- Ability to access resources on a local network from an offsite location
- VPNs offers encryption that ensures that nobody can eavesdrop on emails, voice conversations etc
- Provides security as most networks do not offer features to encrypt traffic by default
- Gives the ability to anonymize usersâ€™ identities
- Remote access and data encryption are provided in a business environment which is one of the most important benefits offered by VPNs
Drawbacks of VPNs:
- It is difficult to set up a VPN server as well as VPN client software and run it on the local network
- Configuring a VPN server that is secure as well as routes traffic efficiently is no simple task
- VPNs are not always secure and, in some cases, can be hacked which allows intruders to gain unauthorized access to private network resources
Keeping in mind the shortcomings of VPNs, and alternate method has been introduced by IT Consultants that is DaaS.
DaaS substitute to VPNs
When any business or enterprise migrates to DaaS, it substitutes its physical, on-premises workstations with virtual workstations that are hosted in the cloud. It is transformed into cloud-based desktop environments that can be accessed from anywhere, without using VPN. Only a Web browser is required to log in. Network communications are fully encrypted at the web browser level which is one of the major advantages that is offered by DaaS. That offers security between the cloud desktop and remote devices, which means that all communications are protected.
As we enter 2021, DaaS will be adopted and VPNs will be eliminated as they provide secure Cloud Virtual Servers environment.